COURSE OPEN NOW - 25% OFF!
Studying the geography of the Bible in the Land of Israel may sound like an impossible dream, but now you can delve into the subject right where you are, even if you live on a different continent!
The video lectures for this course were filmed at various locations all over Israel, taking you into the Bible’s own environment and helping you better understand the worldview of the people of ancient Israel that was impacted by a unique climate, geography, and physical topography of the Land.
Many biblical stories are related to distinctive geographical surroundings.
The daily life of Israelites in the fertile Galilee region was quite different from those settled in the arid Negev desert, or up in the mountains of Jerusalem. If we are to understand the mindset of the people of the Bible, we must become conversant with their geography.
Enlightening Bible study
Equipped with a geographical knowledge of the Bible one is better able to properly interpret and apply the Scripture, and engage in the most rewarding and enlightening Bible study!
FREE SAMPLE LECTURE
For Personal Enrichment The student is guided through the teaching videos and reading material, and encouraged to take the short quiz at the end of each section in order to reinforce the information. The reading assignments are optional. Students are welcome to complete additional written assignments, but they will not be graded on them.
For Academic Credit This course is eligible for 3 academic credits. In order to pass the course successfully, the student is required to submit all coursework within six months from the day of registration, and obtain a final grade not lower than 60. Course grades are based on quizzes, mid-term exam, and the final paper.
Lesson 1 - Introduction
Lesson 2 - Geography of the Patriarchs
Lesson 3 - Geography of the Exodus
Lesson 4 - Geography of the Conquest
Lesson 5 - Geography of Israelite Settlement in the Land
Lesson 6 - Geography of the Judges
Lesson 7 - Geography of the United Kingdom: Samuel, Saul, David and Solomon
Lesson 8 - Divided Monarchy : The Northern Kingdom up until the Assyrian captivity
Lesson 9 - Divided Monarchy : The Southern Kingdom up until the Assyrian captivity
Lesson 10 - Judah from the fall of the Northern Kingdom to the Babylonian Conquest
Lesson 11 - The Return to Zion: Persian and Hellenistic Periods
Lesson 12 - The Geography of the Hasmoneans and the Herodians
Lesson 13 - The Geography of the Gospels
Lesson 14 - The Geography of Yeshua in Jerusalem
Sheila Gyllenberg was born in Canada and has lived in Israel since 1983. She holds a master's degree in Jewish History from Israel's Bar Ilan University. In addition to her work as a tour guide, Sheila serves on the faculty of Israel College of the Bible in Netanya, Israel.
The student will:
- learn the major geographic regions and features of the Land of Israel.
- be able to place historical and biblical events in geographic context.
- become familiar with the topography and the archaeological remains of key sites mentioned in the Bible
- The course consists of 4 units that comprise 14 lessons. Each lesson contains a video lecture and assigned reading.
- This is a Self-Paced Online Course. The student is required to complete the course within six months from the day of registration, but is free to do so in his/her own pace and may review video lectures at any time during the course.
- At the end of each unit there is a short quiz to help reinforce the material studied. For those who take this course for personal enrichment only, all of the course assignments and examinations are optional.
- Students need to purchase: Beitzel, Barry J. The New Moody Atlas of Bible Lands. Chicago: Moody Press, 2009.
- Recommended to purchase: O’Connor, Jerome Murphy. The Holy Land, 5th Ed. New York, Oxford Press, 2008.
Additional Readings will be available on itslearning, in PDF format.
Recommended Backgound: No prerequisites required
Course Fees - 25% OFF for the Holiday Season!
- For Personal Enrichment - $249 $186 (after the discount)
- For Academic Credit at a B.A. Level - $900 $675 (after the discount)
*These fees do not include required textbooks **Payment is non-refundable